Published on June 15th, 2016 📆 | 2812 Views ⚑0
Fully Integrated Defense Operation (FIDO) – Automated Incident Response
FIDO is an orchestration layer which enables an automated incident response process by evaluating, assessing and responding to malware. FIDO’s primary purpose is to handle the heavy manual effort needed to evaluate threats coming from today’s security stack and the large number of alerts generated by them.
As an orchestration platform FIDO can make using your existing security tools more efficient and accurate by heavily reducing the manual effort needed to detect, notify and respond to attacks against a network.
Fully Integrated Defense Operation (FIDO) plays a important role in the defense of the Netflix corporate network. The premise of FIDO is simple… each year companies are receiving an ever increasing amount of security related alerts. Instead of hiring more analyst to comb through the endless stream of alerts we automate the analysis to combat the barrage of information.
Simply put, they integrate and then automate the manual human processes by codifying the logic and process used by threat analysts to provide consistent and reliable results. And by making the code configurable you can customize the categorization, scoring and results of FIDO to accommodate a companies needs.
It supports various sources for detection such as:
- Carbon Black
- Palo Alto
- FireEye MPS/MAS
The below describes in the 9 steps FIDO takes upon receiving an alert from a detector. These are high-level definitions.
- Detectors – The initial trigger to create a FIDO event.
- Host Discovery and Detection – Finding out what is being the source IP in each event/alert.
- Data Sources – Active Directory, LANDesk etc.
- Threat Feeds – VirusTotal, ThreatGRID & AlienVault.
- Event Correlation – Cross verification across end-points + prevention tools.
- Scoring – Threat feeds + detectors + historical info + posture + asset value.
- Enforcement – Currently work in progress (disable accounts, reset passwords, kill NIC etc).
- Notification and Storage – Conversion of detector alerts into readable info.
- Update Detectors – Import data into detectors that missed the threat.
You can download FIDO here:
Or read more here.