Published on May 8th, 2014 📆 | 7500 Views ⚑0
Tails – The Amnesic Incognito Live System Released
Tails, The Amnesic Incognito Live System, is a live system that aims to preserve your privacy and anonymity. It helps you to use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship almost anywhere you go and on any computer but leaving no trace unless you ask it to explicitly.
It is a complete operating system designed to be used from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card independently of the computer’s original operating system. It is Free Software and based on Debian GNU/Linux.
Notable user-visible changes include:
- Security fixes
- Upgrade the web browser to 24.5.0esr-0+tails1~bpo60+1 (Firefox 24.5.0esr + Iceweasel patches + Torbrowser patches).
- Upgrade Tor to 0.2.4.21-1+tails1~d60.squeeze+1:
- Based on 0.2.4.21-1~d60.squeeze+1.
- Backport the fix for bug #11464 on Tor Project’s Trac. It adds client-side blacklists for all Tor directory authority keys that was vulnerable to Heartbleed. This protects clients in case attackers were able to compromise a majority of the authority signing and identity keys.
- Disable inbound I2P connections. Tails already restricts incoming connections, but this change tells I2P about it.
- Fix link to the system requirements documentation page in the Tails Upgrader error shown when too little RAM is available.
- Minor improvements
- Upgrade I2P to 0.9.12-2~deb6u+1.
- Import TorBrowser profile. This was forgotten in Tails 0.23 and even though we didn’t explicitly set those preferences in that release they defaulted to the same values. This future-proofs us in case the defaults would ever change.
- Import new custom version of Tor Launcher:
- Based on upstream Tor Launcher 0.2.5.3.
- Improve how Tor Launcher handles incomplete translation. (bug #11483 on Tor Project’s Trac; more future-proof fix for ticket #6885)
- Remove the bridge settings prompt. (bug #11482 on Tor Project’s Trac; closesticket #6934)
- Always show bridge help button. (bug #11484 on Tor Project’s Trac)
- Integrate the new Tails logo into various places:
- The website
- The boot splash
- The “About Tails” dialog